Friday 15 November 2013

The meaning of your name and how it fits or doesn't fit you.

Hmmmm, I smile because this topic actually resonates with questions I have been asking myself lately. My name is Olubunmi, a Western Nigerian (Yoruba) name meaning gift of God. If you are Nigerian, you'll know that Olubunmi is a fairly common name given to a female Yoruba child although some men do bear the name too.

How does this name fit me? Ask my friends, they'll tell you :)
Does the name fit? Honestly, the earlier sentence was me being real. Quite a number of my friends have used the words, you are such a gift to encourage or praise me. My family, well... We have differing opinions of how I should be me so I'll let them comment and say whether they think I am a gift, lol!

But jokes apart, I think it is a name that fits. I am a firm believer of the power of the spoken word. The bible says life and death are in the power of the tongue. And the more people have called me by my name, the more I seem to have manifested the name. And this brings me back to my 1st line about this topic making me smile. Because I know the meaning of my name, I keep asking myself, especially lately, whether I am being the gift that God wants or created me to be? Am I being a gift to my family, friends, company, church and my generation? Some days when I feel like I have done quite a bit, I beat my chest and confidently say yes! Other days, I have to be honest and say I don't know.

But one thing is certain, no matter how I might feel on any particular day. I am a gift of God and that is my purpose here on earth. To be a gift and blessing to all I come into contact with. And you know what? That answers another question I have been asking myself lately. What is my divine purpose? Well, I guess that answer is as plain as they come. My purpose is to be Olubunmi.

No comments:

Post a Comment