Saturday 14 August 2010

Friendship

Ok, so it has taken me forever to come back and post something....I wasn't sure what I wanted to talk about hence me taking 20years to write something....lol

I actually did think about friendship as something to talk about but dismissed it cos I was extremely pissed the day I wanted to write (yeah, I know...me, pissed?) so ended delaying and now I am back to it again.

I have been doing a lot of thinking about friendship, what it is, if I am being the best one to all my friends, the whole shenanigans....and I have come to the realisation that friendship is hard work! It is a lot of work spiritually, emotionally, mentally and physically. I used to think that so far as you gist well with someone, then you guys are friends but alas, this ain't so (yeah, more fool me!)

It is a lot more than that, from what I know now, friendship is loving someone warts and all, being there for them even when they don't think you need to be, laughing, crying, fighting, disagreeing and making up. I have also realised over time that not everyone will be your lifelong, tighter than tight, know you inside out friend. Some may just be friends to increase numbers at a party (as my friend says), others will just be friends that pass through your life for a season.

Friendship is a growth process, it teaches us to deal with different people and sometimes, love the unloveable (not even sure that is a word in the dictionary, lol). You won't always get it right but if you keep at it, you will eventually be the best friend you can be to your friends.

Proverbs 18:24 says that "A man that has friends must show himself friendly and there is friend that sticks closer than a brother....I believe friendship is defined by this verse

Let's be the best friend to those who know us........

2 comments:

  1. Friendship...oh how many have hoped and dreamt for the ideal friendship, only to have their hopes dashed, sometimes callously.
    Makes me question if I believe in 'friendship'. Not sure. If you define friendship to mean the caring, nurturing, trusting, loyal relationship between two people, I musyt say, I don't believe in that utopia.

    Of course people are loyal, caring,etc. Yet I have found that they are not always so.
    Dependability is a key factor, and that level of expectation, I have found is too high to place in a non-altruistic other.

    I have come to accept friendship as a form of relationship, where people can share common ground.
    Whether it lasts a long time, now that is another matter...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel friendship could be a lot of things but the most important of all is, “how true are you to one another as friends?” If you call yourself friends yet one person shares less or do not accommodate the other esp in times of strain then I believe that friendship needs to be evaluated.

    Adun said above that 'Of course people are loyal, caring,etc. Yet I have found that they are not always so.' well I slightly disagree with that cos it depends on the kind of person or individual in question. Some people are genuinely loyal and caring etc. and will remain so, it is only when and only if the person or people they have always being loyal/caring too, start taking them for granted (and granted could be a lot of things too) then they start to evaluate that 'friendship' they have with that person i.e. is it even worth it or not!

    I believe Friendship is a continuous knowledge area such that you learn as it grows.

    ReplyDelete